The easiest way to preserve fresh Moringa Leaves is to dry them in the shade and make a fine powder. It’s a recipe which has existed in the Indian kitchens of the past and allows us to use the goodness of the drumstick greens even when the tree is in hibernation.
The traditional recipes are to use with the staple dosa, idli as a podi or mixed with rice and dal as a simple lunch meal. These are terrific and easy recipes which are simple.
But we don’t need to stop there. We can make moringa powder a fancy party dish option too. The earthy taste goes remarkably well with ghee , tomatoes, nuts and the red kashmiri mirch and that’s exactly what we did. A yummy dip which can be enjoyed with sourdough toast, dip into with crunchy nachos or with a selection of bright vegetable crudites for a weekend game night with friends.
It is so delicious that this recipe is going to be the talk of the town.
Recipe for tomato dip with moringa powder- serves 8-10
- Tomatoes- 600 gms - peeled ,deseeded and cut into big chunks
- Onion- 1 chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves (optional)
- Native badam- 1 C - soaked and peeled
- Walnuts- 1/4 C
- Sun dried tomatoes- 1/2 C
- Himalayan pink salt -to taste
- A2 ghee- 3 Tbsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder- 1 Tbsp or to taste
- Moringa powder- 1 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp to garnish
- Take a large shallow pan and place it on low heat
- Add the Ghee
- Add the onion and garlic and let it sweat for a minute
- Add the tomatoes and saute until soft and pulpy
- Add the drained almonds, walnuts, sun dried tomatoes , salt and chilli powder
- Saute well together until the ghee comes to the top and the mixture is well amalgamated. It must not be dry. It should be moist.
- Add 1 Tbsp of Moringa powder , mix and take off fire. Let cool.
- Grind it to a coarse mixture either in a mortar and pestle or in a mixer.
- If the mixture is dry , add little warm water to blend.
- Spoon into a bowl. Make grooves, add a tsp of ghee and sprinkle with some moringa powder.
- Refrigerate for a few days.
Additional Moringa Recipe Blogs -
Moringa Powder - SHOP NOW
A2 Cultured Ghee - SHOP NOW
Healthy Snacking - SHOP NOW