Ever wondered why there's a fruit for every season? It's nature's way of keeping our taste buds intrigued and our plates full of deliciousness.
But here's a lesser-known secret: just like fruits, there's a cooking oil that shines in each season too. That's right! There is a perfect cooking oil for summer that adds a pinch of magic to your culinary adventures.
To live a healthy life, it is essential to eat seasonal food. Seasonal foods are not only fresh and flavorful, but they also provide us with the essential nutrients we need to thrive. They improve immunity and fight the change in weather.
So, how does one choose the Best Cooking Oil For Summer? We'll explore the fascinating nature of oils, uncover their hidden health benefits, and unlock the secrets of selecting the ultimate cooking oil for this sunny season.
Let’s unveil them one by one!
Table of Contents
Which Oil is Good for Health in India?
Edible oils are made from seeds and nuts that are grown in different climates and vegetation. For example, groundnut/peanut is cultivated mainly in Gujarat and central parts of India. That’s where they are heavily consumed in the form of groundnut oil, snacks, etc.
Similarly, coconut is grown in Kerala and Southern India and used in their cooking. Likewise, mustard oil is grown and used in northern India and sesame oil in the Northeastern regions.
India has always had a rich diversity of oils. Each and every oil has various health benefits when used in recommended quantities and traditionally.
Let’s see how to select the best cooking oil for the summer.
How to Select the Best Cooking Oil For Summers in India
Choosing a healthy oil for cooking is a tricky process, let alone when you are trying to find the best fit for a season. But it is possible, and there are multiple choices available.
Before that, you must consider the following points to assure a mindful decision while selecting the best cooking oil for summer.
- Select wood-pressed or Cold-pressed oils
Make sure the oil is not refined and is traditionally made using the cold-pressed or wood-pressed method. Cold Pressed oils retain all the nutrients, while refined oils lose most of their nutrients due to high heat processing.
Also, there are added preservatives, flavouring agents, and synthetic colours in refined oils to give them an authentic feel. It harms the body in the long run and should be avoided.
- Select oil based on its hot and cold nature
Oils either have a heating or cooling property. Oils that are made from nuts and seeds available in summer generally have cooling properties and are good for summer.
- Consider oil with a high smoke point
Oil molecules, when heated beyond their smoke point, form toxins.
Therefore, as a cautionary practice, always buy oil with a high smoke point to avoid the chances of eating toxins released from burnt oil.
Also, a high smoke point oil can be used in all types of cooking and is a safer choice.
- Nutritional value of cooking oil
As a thumb rule, remember that all refined oils have fewer nutrients and more preservatives. So , avoid buying them. Cold-pressed oils have high nutrients that help in improving health.
- Select Oil Based on Your Health Requirement
You might be surprised to know that everybody’s oil requirement is different. People who get cold feet or aren’t able to regulate their body temperature might benefit most from using hot-natured oil, while those with pitta/bile will benefit more from cold-nature oil.
The same goes for selecting cooking oil for other health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, liver disorders, etc.
Now you know there isn’t one oil that fits everybody’s frame or seasons, for that matter. Still, we have sorted out a few most suitable oils that stand firm on all of the above factors.
4 Best Cooking Oil For Summer 2023
There are some really good cold-pressed oils available in India to help relieve the summer heat by not aggravating your body temperature. The healthiest oils for cooking in summer are:
- Cold-pressed Coconut Oil
- Cold-pressed Groundnut Oil
- Cold-pressed Mustard Oil
- Cold-pressed Safflower Oil
Are you eager to explore each one of them? Let’s do it!
Cold-pressed Coconut Oil
- Smoke point: Coconut oil has a high smoke point, making it perfect for deep frying, stir-frying, or baking.
- Cold-pressed coconut oil has various health benefits: it is anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, good for skin and hair, good for digestion, and improves immunity.
- Cold-pressed coconut oil has medium-chain fatty acids, Vit C and E, and antioxidants.
Cold-pressed Groundnut Oil
- Groundnut oil is widely consumed in summer. It keeps the stomach full for a longer duration, which might help in staying satiated on long summer days.
- Groundnut oil is rich in tryptophan, oleic acid, phytosterols, Vit E, and antioxidants.
- Cold-pressed groundnut oil has a low glycemic index and prevents the sudden rise of blood glucose levels.
- Groundnut oil has a high smoking point. It is ideal for cooking at all temperatures.
- Regular use of groundnut oil can help control diabetes, treat heart health, muscle disorders, and improve bone health. It also decreases the probability of Alzheimer’s and breast, colon, and prostate cancer.
Cold-pressed Mustard Oil
- Cold-pressed mustard oil or Kachi ghani sarson ka tel, is used for its zingy flavour and health benefits. It also has a cooling nature and helps keep the body healthy on hot summer days.
- Its high point makes it ideal for deep frying, stir-frying, and shallow frying recipes. It is not recommended for baking due to its sharp taste.
- Cold-pressed mustard oil will provide essential fatty acids, linoleic acid, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, and antioxidants.
Cold-pressed Safflower Oil
- Organic cold-pressed safflower oil is gaining popularity these days due to its nutrient composition and health benefits. It's also known as Kardai ka tel in many parts of India.
- Safflower oil has a high smoke point and a neutral taste. It blends easily into all recipes and types of cooking.
- Cold-pressed safflower oil will fill your meal with essential fatty acids, Vit E, flavonoids, and a little bit of good saturated fatty acids.
FAQ: Best Cooking Oil For Summer 2023
Which oil is best for reducing heat?
For Indian weather, the most cooling oils are coconut oil, groundnut oil, safflower oil, and mustard oil.
Which oil is cool in nature?
The best cooking oils for summer are cold-pressed coconut, groundnut, safflower, and mustard oils that have cooling properties.
Although, the effect of oils may vary from person to person and depend largely on the individual’s hot and cold nature of the body.
Is groundnut oil good in summer?
Yes, groundnut oil can be consumed in summer. It is an all-seasonal oil and can be used in all types of cooking.
What is the healthiest oil to cook with?
Any cold-pressed or wood-pressed oil that has good essential fatty acids like oleic and linoleic acids in the correct ratio and has a high smoke point, is healthy for cooking.
A few such oils are safflower oil, groundnut oil, coconut oil, ghee or clarified butter, mustard oil, sesame oil, canola oil, olive oil, and more.
What is the best cooking oil in summer to fry in ? Is using cold pressed oil for frying healthy ?
Any cold-pressed oil that has a high smoke point is ideal for deep frying or high-heat cooking. In Indian cuisine, the average high-heat cooking is done at 180 degrees Celsius.
These cold-pressed oils have smoke points higher than that and are fit to fry anything: safflower oil, canola oil, groundnut oil, mustard oil, coconut oil and sesame oil. You can also use ghee or clarified butter for deep-frying.
How can I reduce my body heat naturally?
The human body is supposed to maintain its temperature naturally through perspiration, or sweating. Due to lifestyle changes and other metabolic disorders, it's not possible for some people.
In such cases, one can reduce heat by increasing fluid intake, avoiding deep-fried and hot spicy foods, and using cold nature cooking oils like coconut, groundnut, etc.
In conclusion, when it comes to cooking oils for the summer season, incorporating the right choices into your meals can make a world of difference. By opting for healthier alternatives and being mindful of your cooking methods, you can reap numerous health benefits while keeping the summer heat at bay.
Include these 4 best cooking oils for summer in your meals and enjoy the health benefits. To beat the summer heat it is best to avoid deep-fried foods. Keep your food and oil simple and close to traditional recipes.
Eat the fruits and cook the vegetables/proteins available locally in cold-pressed coconut, groundnut, safflower or mustard oil for a delicious and digestion-friendly dish.
If you're looking for pure organic wood-pressed oils and other kitchen staples, look no further than TwoBrothers.
Our commitment to traditional production methods ensures that every product retains its nutrients and quality. Visit TwoBrothers to buy organic wood-pressed oils now!