A CLASSIC RECIPE WITH A SUPERFOOD TWIST!
चटनी plays the culinary act of a supporting role to our traditional and homely Indian meal ‘थाली’ or as a sidekick to a leading main act like our Dosa, Idli, Wada, Bhakri or a plain old Chutney Sandwich.
But the main act feels like a dull documentary without the Chutney, a fusion of ingredients, flavours and texture. Sometimes a secret recipe passed down from the Grandma's humble rural kitchen of the past to the curriculum of mummies for their kids to take ahead into the culinary future.
Arguably a leading star among the fantastic 4 of the Classic Indian Condiments
- रायता कचुम्बर
Which is where it gets its name from, Chutney, long for ‘Chaat’, which means to lick.
The best part about Chutney is that it is based on the culinary history, region and season the Chutney comes from, its versatility lets it fuse with many different ingredients and create an altogether different version.
We’ve created a fusion of the Cult of Chutney made of Green Chillies, Coconut, Ginger, garlic and more with the Superfood Moringa.
Recipe story moringa coconut chutney
- Ingredients- serves 4-5
- Drumstick (moringa/ murungai) leaves- 2C
- Grated coconut - 1 C
- Garlic - 6 cloves pounded
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp chopped
- Green chillies- 6-8
- Small onions- 15 pounded
- Tamarind pulp- a small marble size
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery- 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Cold pressed coconut oil- 2 Tbsp
- Water- 1/2 C
- Ghee- 1 Tbsp
- Curry leaves- a few
- Dried red chillies-3-4
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal- 1/4 tsp
- Heat oil, add the onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute until the onions are translucent and the garlic is soft.
- Add the drumstick leaves and saute until it is soft and wilted but still green
- Add the tamarind, salt , jaggery and coconut and saute until the coconut is dry but not brown.
- Take off the heat and let it cool.
- Add water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Check seasoning and adjust if required.
Make the tempering by heating ghee. Add the mustard seeds. After it sputters add the urad dal, dried red chillies and curry leaves.
Turn off the fire when the ingredients crackle and pour it over the ground green chutney.
Serve with flavoured rice or idli/ dosa staples.
Shop for Moringa Powder - https://twobrothersindiashop.com/products/two-brothers-organic-farms-amorearth-moringa-powder
Shop for Coconut Oil - https://twobrothersindiashop.com/products/coconut-oil-wood-pressed-unrefined
Shop for All Products - https://twobrothersindiashop.com/collections/all